The Early Medical School Acceptance Program (EMSAP) The Early Medical School Acceptance Program offers superior high school seniors the assurance that after completing undergraduate studies at UAB, they will enter the UAB School of Medicine, Dentistry, or Optometry. EMSAP students can complete an excellent undergraduate program and reserve their place in UAB’s world-renowned medical programs.
To be considered for admission to EMSAP, students must have the following:
· Four years of English.
· Four years of mathematics.
· At least one year each of chemistry or physics and biology, preferably AP or IB level
· A grade point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) in academic subjects, and
· An ACT composite score of at least 30 or an SAT score of at least 1,340 (counting only the math and verbal part of the new SAT exam).
· Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Selected candidates who meet the academic criteria are interviewed by members of the Admissions committee of the respective professional schools. In making its final selections, the committee considers maturity and exposure to medicine, as well as letters from teachers. Students can only apply for EMSAP programs as seniors in high school and must complete UAB’s Application for Undergraduate Admission and the EMSAP application online by December 15th. For further information, including criteria for remaining in good standing in EMSAP, please see the EMSAP web site or contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission, (205) 934-8221.