John C. Mayer
UAB College of Arts and Sciences / Department of Mathematics
UAB School of Education / Department of Curriculum and Instruction
UABTeach is the program for all students seeking certification to teach secondary school (grades 6-12) in the sciences and mathematics, and in middle school mathematics (grades 4-8), with an undergraduate degree. It is a cooperative program among the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), the School of Education, and the School of Engineering. To obtain teaching certification in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, General Science, or Mathematics, students major in their STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and participate in the UABTeach program. UABTeach is not a major, but rather leads to a minor in STEM Education (through the School of Education) and a Class B teaching certificate. Students considering seeking teaching certification in a STEM field should contact both their STEM advisor and the UABTeach advisor (HHB 210, 205-975-7424, UABTeach).
UABTeach consists of a sequence of eight courses (24 credit hours), ideally taken over eight semesters as outlined below. Courses with an EHS prefix are normally taken in sequence. However, there are pathways for students entering UABTeach after the first semester of their freshman year, and up until the first semester of their junior year, described in detail on the UABTeach website, which allow some overlap of courses. Normally, students can complete the UABTeach courses without adding any additional time to their degree, provided they are on schedule in their STEM major, and have not already begun their junior year. Currently, UABTeach courses are offered only in Fall and Spring semesters.
- Semester 1: Step1, Inquiry Approaches to Teaching (EHS 125, 1 hour; also counts as First Year Experience course in CAS)
- Semester 2: Step2, Inquiry-Based Lesson Design (EHS 126, 1 hour)
- Semester 3: Knowing and Learning in Mathematics and Science (EHS 325, 3 hours)
- Semester 4: Perspectives on Science and Mathematics (HY 275) or Science, Knowledge, and Reality (PHL 270, 3 hours)
- Semester 5: Classroom Interactions (EHS 326, 3 hours)
- Semester 6: Research Methods* (number varies with STEM department, 3 hours) OR Functions and Modeling** (MA 361, 3 hours)
- Semester 7: Project-Based Instruction (EHS 327, 3 hours)
- Semester 8: Apprentice Teaching (EHS 425 and EHS 426, 7 hours)
* The Research Methods course is required for all UABTeach students earning science certification, and it is recommended for future math teachers.
** Functions and Modeling is required for all UABTeach students earning mathematics certification, and it is recommended for future science teachers.
The following table lists the currently available certifications, and the majors leading to them, under UABTeach.
|Class B Certification||Grade Level||Applicable Majors|
|Biology||6-12||Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Biomedical Sciences|
|Chemistry||6-12||Chemistry, Chemistry-Chemical Education Track|
|General Science||6-12||Biophysics, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Neuroscience|
|Mathematics||6-12||Mathematics, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering|
|Mathematics, Middle School||4-8||Mathematics-Mathematical Reasoning Track|
Students can begin the program in either fall or spring semesters. For more information, please visit the UABTeach website: http://www.uab.edu/uabteach/