Education Abroad

Director: Brian E. Johnson, Ph.D.

Coordinator: Megan K. Talpash

Contact: | 205-975-6611


The mission of UAB Education Abroad (UABEA) is to administer and establish high-quality education abroad opportunities in order to prepare UAB students for success in the globalized world.


Pursuant to our mission, UABEA engages in the activities described below.

Study Abroad: Take courses for which academic credit is received and transferred to UAB on a UABEA-supported study abroad programs.  This includes academic credit for student exchanges, faculty-led programs, and non-UAB programs that feature traditional classes, research, service learning, internships, volunteerism, shadowing, clinical rotation, and observations.

Student Organizations Abroad: Travel abroad as part of a UAB student organization; including Outreach Abroad, Outdoor Pursuits, artistic performances, athletic activities, or other student organization travel.  UABEA can help students register travel with the university, obtain the necessary education abroad insurance, and prepare for the trip.

Student Conference Travel Abroad: Present at or attend a conference that takes place abroad as a UAB representative.  UABEA office can help students register travel with the university, obtain the necessary education abroad insurance, and prepare for the trip.

Passport Acceptance Facility: Apply for a passport conveniently on campus.  UABEA is an official U.S. Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility.  UABEA provides assistance in applying for first-time as well as renewal passports.  Passport services at UABEA are available to anyone.  You do not have to be a UAB student or employee to apply for a passport at UABEA.


Programs are available in over 45 different countries.


Programs are available for fall semester, spring semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer.  Short-term programs are also available for select programs.


Programs are available in English, all of the foreign languages taught at UAB, and select languages not taught at UAB. 


To be eligible to apply for education abroad, a student must: 

  1. be an enrolled UAB student;
  2. be 19 years of age or older (or have parental permission);
  3. have at least 30 semester hour credits completed (with 15 semester hour credits at UAB) before travel begins; and
  4. be in good academic, disciplinary, and financial standing.

Programs have additional eligibility requirements, such as GPA minima, listed on the individual program webpages.

Students may petition to the Director of Education Abroad for a possible exception to the eligibility criteria.

Course Articulation

Students need to consult with UABEA before studying abroad to initiate course articulation, the process by which UAB course equivalency is determined for each course to be taken while studying abroad.  Course articulation involves the student, UABEA, the host study abroad university, and UAB department chairs and advisors all working together and commonly takes approximately one month to complete.

It is highly recommended that the students contact UABEA to begin the course articulation process at least one month before the application deadline for the selected program.  Students who don't begin the articulation process early enough prior to studying abroad, may not know how, or if, their courses abroad will count toward completion of a UAB degree. 

Grade Posting

All grades earned while abroad will be posted to the student's UAB transcript and included in GPA calculations.  Letter grades are used rather than pass/fail marks.  In all cases, students must participate fully in all course activities and meet all stated course requirements.  Auditing of any course abroad is not permitted.  The process of grade posting varies depending on the program type:

UAB Student Exchanges are programs for which UABEA has established an exchange agreement with a university abroad.  Students earn direct UAB course credit.  Students on exchanges are usually mainstreamed into regular classes with the student body at their university abroad.  Courses taken on student exchanges will begin with IN ("INternational" indicating that the course took place at an international UAB student exchange location) and a two-letter subject code such as ME (Mechanical Engineering), GN (German), SP (Spanish), etc. to indicate the subject that was studied.  Additionally, each of the courses is numbered 100, 200, 300, 400, or 500.  All courses are variable in the number of credit hours (0-15) students can receive based upon their enrollment at the host partner university.  INxx courses are repeatable.  INxx courses are:

Subject Description
INABStudy Abroad Arabic
INAHStudy Abroad Art History
INANStudy Abroad Anthropology
INARStudy Abroad Art Studio
INATStudy Abroad Astronomy
INBEStudy Abroad Biomedical Engineering
INBUStudy Abroad Business
INBYStudy Abroad Biology
INCHStudy Abroad Chinese
INCMStudy Abroad Communication Studies
INCSStudy Abroad Computer & Information Science
INCYStudy Abroad Chemistry
INDCStudy Abroad Digital Community
INECStudy Abroad Economics
INEDStudy Abroad Education
INEE Study Abroad Electrical Engineering
INEHStudy Abroad English
INESStudy Abroad Earth Science
INEVStudy Abroad Environmental Science
INFNStudy Abroad Finance
INFRStudy Abroad French
INGNStudy Abroad German
INHYStudy Abroad History
INISStudy Abroad International Studies
INITStudy Abroad Italian
INJPStudy Abroad Japanese
INJSStudy Abroad Justice Sciences
INMAStudy Abroad Mathematics
INMEStudy Abroad Mechanical Engineering
INMGStudy Abroad Management
INMKStudy Abroad Marketing
INMUStudy Abroad Music
INPCStudy Abroad Physics
INPEStudy Abroad Physical Education
INPHStudy Abroad Philosophy
INPSStudy Abroad Political Science
INPYStudy Abroad Psychology
INSCStudy Abroad Sociology
INSPStudy Abroad Spanish
INTHStudy Abroad Theatre
INTLStudy Abroad Special Topics

UAB Faculty-Led Programs are UAB classes that are developed and taught by UAB professors and have a field trip that takes place away from campus.  The field trips are typically approximately 2 weeks in duration and the entire class, professor and students, travels together.  Students earn direct UAB course credit.  Some faculty leaders choose to have their students additionally earn transfer credit.  For UAB Faculty-Led Programs, the instructor will assign the final grade as is normally done for any UAB class taught on campus.  See the Grading Policies and Practices section of the UAB Catalog of Undergraduate Programs.  UAB Faculty-Led Programs are designated with SA following the course title. 

Non-UAB Programs are organized by a third-party education abroad provider in cooperation with a foreign university.  Students receive a transcript from the foreign university or U.S. university of record and have transfer credit appear on their UAB transcript.  Supported non-UAB programs are those appearing in the program list at the UABEA website.  Courses taken on Non-UAB Programs will begin with INTL ("INTernationaL" indicating that the course took place at an international non-UAB education abroad program location) and a two-letter subject code such as ME (Mechanical Engineering), GN (German), SP (Spanish), etc. to indicate the subject that was studied.   Additionally, each of the courses is numbered 100 to 699.  All courses are variable in the number of credit hours (0-15) students can receive based upon their enrollment at the host university. 

UAB students wishing to participate in the Washington Center internship program, a Non-UAB Program, must receive written permission from their academic department at UAB to enroll in the UAB internship course offered by their department prior to applying to the Washington Center.  After permission is granted by the student’s academic department at UAB, but before the start of the internship, the student will enroll in the UAB internship course offered by the permission-granting department at UAB and will be assigned a UAB faculty member who will act as the instructor of record.  The instructor will assign a final grade as is normally done for the internship course in that UAB department.  The Washington Center also offers courses and seminars, which will not count toward a UAB degree.  These other courses and seminars are for enrichment purposes only.

Changes of Grades

Requests for grade changes to UABEA must be accompanied by official documentation sent directly from the host university.