Area V Transfer Student Pre-Professional & Elective Courses (19 semester hours)
Hours approved by the STARS approved Area V guide for Nursing: 12 Semester Hours
Remaining 7 semester hours should be taken from:
Alabama Community College System Courses/ UAB Course Equivalents / Semester Hours
- HEC 140 - Nutrition/ NTR 222 - Nutrition and Health / 3
- MTH 265 - Elementary Statistics/ MA 180 - Introduction to Statistics / 3
- Approved courses not previously completed in Areas I-IV / 1
Students must complete a two-course Anatomy and Physiology sequence (BIO 201 and 202) for this major. Because there is no UAB equivalent to BIO 201 and 202 individually, students transferring from Alabama community colleges should take both BIO 201 and 202 at their community college or wait to begin this sequence at UAB. Students must earn a grade of “C” or higher in all math, science, and major courses.
|Name||John P Updegraff|
|Title||Director of Student Affairs|
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR NURSING MAJORS AT UAB:
- The minimum cumulative GPA for BSN applicants is 2.75 at the time of application (includes transfer students). Admission is competitive and is based on space available. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 does not guarantee admission to the School of Nursing.
- Students are eligible to apply when they have successfully completed a minimum of 41 semester credit hours. Successful completion of each pre-nursing foundation course with a “C” or above must be met prior to matriculation into the nursing program.
- Students offered admission to the SON who are enrolled in pre-nursing coursework to satisfy the minimum 41 hour requirement must make a “C” or better in every foundation course for the nursing major in order to begin coursework at the School of Nursing. The final minimum cumulative GPA must be a 2.75 or greater on all coursework.
- Admission decisions are competitive and based on the applicant’s academic record and application at the time of the application deadline. *All grades (UAB and other colleges/ universities) from previous terms must be posted on applicant’s UAB transcript by the application deadline.
- A resume, outlining health care interest/experience, campus/community involvement, leadership, employment, etc. will be due by the application deadline.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to provide proof of work/volunteer experience in a healthcare setting as part of the application process. The healthcare work is to be documented by letters from a supervisor (on agency letterhead) and/or time sheets and must consist of a minimum of 60 hours of paid or volunteer work in a healthcare setting. Completion of a nursing skills course does not meet this criterion.
- Applicants to the School of Nursing are strongly recommended to demonstrate a record of full -time study and a minimum number of course repeats/grade forgiveness options.
- Meeting minimum School of Nursing admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission is based upon the academic record, admission application (and all supporting documents), and space availability. When the number of applicants who meet minimum requirements exceeds the number of student spaces available, the best qualified applicants will be admitted. Attendance at orientation is mandatory for all BSN students entering the program.
Please print this document and attach it to the Nursing Articulation Guide. Together, this document and the articulation guide comprise the articulation agreement for a major in Nursing at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Name: ___________________________________________ Date: __________________________